The Outer Banks storm claim: how we got $780 back
Travel Insurance & Money

The Outer Banks storm claim: how we got $780 back

November 15, 2025 — Heather Lowry — 4 min read
The check came in an ordinary white envelope, the kind I almost tossed in the pile with the co-op bill.

The check came in an ordinary white envelope, the kind I almost tossed in the pile with the co-op bill. I opened it standing at the mailbox with June sniffing the ditch beside me, and there it was: $780, the full rent on a beach cottage we never slept in. I'll be honest, I said something out loud that made June look up.

That was the first week of November. Here's how we got there, for anyone who has ever stared at a "would you like trip protection?" box and wondered whether it ever pays.

Back in September I wrote about booking three nights in Rodanthe on the Outer Banks for the last weekend of the month. The rent was $780, paid in full up front. I read the rental agreement and the storm section line by line and decided to buy the trip policy the rental company offered for $57. The thing that pushed me over was learning that storm coverage only applies if you buy it before the storm is named.

About ten days before we were supposed to leave, a tropical storm started working its way up the coast. By the middle of that week, local officials had issued a mandatory evacuation order for visitors on Hatteras Island. The road down there is narrow and the ocean doesn't need much encouragement to cover it. There was no version of that weekend where we were going.

Wes, who had been gently teasing me about the eleven-page agreement for two weeks, read the evacuation notice on his phone and said, "Okay. You win the paperwork argument." I'm keeping that one.

The paperwork

I spend my workdays submitting claims and fixing insurance codes at a dental office, so I went at this like it was a patient file. The claim was filed online, and the insurer's checklist wanted roughly what you'd expect:

That last item mattered. The purchase date on our policy was a couple of weeks before the storm had a name, which is what made it a covered event instead of a "known event." If I'd waited and tried to buy coverage that Tuesday when the forecasts started looking bad, it would have been too late for that storm.

The rental company's office was helpful. They'd obviously done this before, and the confirmation letter showed up in my email within two days. I scanned everything at the kitchen table, named each file clearly and uploaded it all in one go. I submitted the claim the Monday after the weekend we would have been there.

Five weeks of waiting

This is the part nobody tells you about. Nothing happened for a while. About ten days in I got an email asking for one thing I'd already sent, the payment proof, so I sent it again with a polite note. Another two weeks went by and the claim status changed to "under review." Then, about five weeks after I filed, it said "approved," and the check arrived a few days later.

A few things helped, I think. Everything was submitted at once instead of in pieces. I kept a single page of notes with dates, who I talked to and what they said. And I didn't call every day, which is something I learned from the other side of the counter. Calls don't make claims move faster. Complete files do.

What it cost and what it paid

The policy cost $57. It paid $780. The money had come out of the trip account in September, so the check went right back into it. The cottage weekend doesn't count as one of our trips this year, since we never went, and I've kept the $57 on its own line in the spreadsheet so I can see what insurance costs us over time.

I don't want to make this sound like a sales pitch. Most of our trips don't have $780 of nonrefundable rent attached, and for a $79 motel with free cancellation, I still wouldn't buy a policy. This one made sense because the money was big for us, the dates were in peak storm season and the policy specifically covered an evacuation order, as long as we bought before a storm was named. Your policy may read differently, so read it yourself.

We'll try the Outer Banks again, maybe next summer. And when we do, I'll read the agreement again, line by line.

Share this postftin@

Comments are closed.

Related posts
Travel insurance for our October cabin: did we buy it?
Travel Insurance & Money

Travel insurance for our October cabin: did we buy it?

October 17, 2026
A car repair fund, separate from the trip fund
Travel Insurance & Money

A car repair fund, separate from the trip fund

August 8, 2026
What our credit card and car policy covered on a rental
Travel Insurance & Money

What our credit card and car policy covered on a rental

June 27, 2026